Who are the Angolans who can obtain Portuguese nationality
The determination of originating nationality of persons born in Angola before 11 November 1975, can only be determined by applying the Decree-Law No. 308-A/75, of June 24th.
All those who are unable to retain their original nationality in these terms may obtain Portuguese nationality by resorting to acquisition by declaration of will or by naturalization, under the terms of the Portuguese Nationality Law, approved by Law nº 37/81, of October 3, in its last amendment given by Organic Law No. 2/2020, of November 10.
Thus, individuals born before Angola's independence only retain their nationality under the terms of the Decree-Law No. 308-A/75, of June 24, since:
1. Are children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren of an individual born in Mainland Portugal or the Madeira or Azores Islands.
When we speak of Mainland Portugal, we are referring to the Portuguese national territory as it is defined now.
2. If, at the time of independence, they were over 21 years old and prove that, on April 25, 1974, they had already resided in Mainland Portugal or the Madeira Islands or Azores, since April 25, 1969, without interruption.
3. If, at the time of independence, they were under 21 years of age and have a father or mother who managed to retain their nationality because they proved that on April 25, 1974, they were already residing in mainland Portugal or the islands of Madeira or the Azores, since April 25, 1969, without interruption.
4. If at the time of independence, being a woman and born in Angola before November 11, 1975, she was married to a husband who came to retain his nationality because he proved that on April 25, 1974, he was already residing in mainland Portugal or Madeira Islands or Azores, since April 25, 1969, without interruption.
5. If, being a woman born before independence, she also got married before November 11, 1975, with a husband born in Mainland Portugal or the Madeira Islands or Azores, even if that marriage was already dissolved at the time of independence.
It should be mentioned that if the interested party does not meet these requirements, situations may still arise that may allow obtaining nationality under the provisions of the Nationality Law, namely article 6, paragraph 6 of the Nationality Law.
If you wish to retain Portuguese nationality, we can help. To do this, you can respond to our pre-analysis form:
The right to historical recovery of Jewish traditions
A little over 10,000 miles separate Andrew's origins from his everyday life in Australia. Born in […]
The request for urgency in the Portuguese nationality process
When is it possible to request an urgent assessment in a Portuguese nationality process? First, it is important to point out that […]
MOBI_, the new international mobility app from Martins Castro, has arrived
Martins Castro launches the MOBI_ application, which will facilitate international mobility processes for people and businesses, which […]